Israeli Salad Recipe
This popular salad is very easy to make. Here is a basic recipe for Israeli salad, with suggested optional ingredients. This salad lends itself nicely to improvisation and experimentation!
Serves 2-4 as a side salad (depending on how much you like salad!)
- 3 medium cucumbers (if you can’t get Israeli cucumbers, get pickling or English* cucumbers)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 green or red pepper
*If using English cucumbers, one cucumber is enough.
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice (I always use the juice from at least one lemon)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste - optional
- Za’atar - optional
- Vegetables should be room temperature. Finely chop all the vegetables (I use my onion chopper!). Peeling the cucumbers is optional.
- Combine them in a large bowl, adding any optional ingredients.
- Right before serving, toss with olive oil, and then add lemon juice and spices.
- Serve immediately. B’teyavon!
– try adding them individually, or in any combination!
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (flat-leaf)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ carrot, peeled and finely diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced, or 2 green onions, finely diced
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped
After dressing the salad, consider topping it with a handful of toasted pita chips, ¼ c toasted pine nuts, and/or ¼ c crumbled feta or goat cheese.
Learn more about Israeli Salad
Return from Israeli Salad Recipe to Israeli Recipes
Return from Israeli Salad Recipe to Israel Food Guide